Monday, August 24, 2009

Rookie Duck Whisperer

There is a duck farm about 100 m from my house, on the other side of the traffic circle. I just love all the farms around here! So last night, as I am running home in the rain, I hear this stressed out quaking - then I see one of the ducks wandering on the road!!! I have no idea how he got out, since the farm is 6 feet below the height of the road, and then on top of the retaining wall is another fence that goes up 4 feet!
 

So I try to shoo the duck off the road but he is freaking out, trying to run away from me through the brush on the side and keeps falling down because he is too tired. Then he starts trying to fly over the 4 foot fence, but instead only gets 1.5 feet in the air and smashes into it. Poor guy. I was just making it worse, so I went home and asked Jesus if he wanted to help me catch the duck. Lol. He didn`t. Or perhaps he didn`t know exactly what I was talking about? Not likely a conversation he has had in english before!

I sat down on the computer and then thought about the duck and decided I had to try harder. I grabbed a towel and headed back out there. He continued to run away from me for about 15 minutes. Eventually he got too tired, fell down (in the worst spot, next to the fence on a steep down hill so he was wedged in), and stopped moving. I came over to him and touched him, he had no energy to move. I put the towel around him and awkwardly got him out, then held him on my hip. He didnt quack or anything. He was cold, so I think he appreciated the towel.

Then came the part of trying to get him back in, which I am afraid was an unsuccessful mission :( I walked with him over to the main gates of the farm, but they were padlocked, and the rest of the ducks were inside the locked building... so I walked back up with him to where I found him, and the only way to get him back in the main pen was to drop him the 10 feet. If he was too tired to walk, and the fact that he had clipped wings, I was afraid I would kill him. So I stood there for a while holding him, he was so cute. White with blue eyes, he just looked at me. After he got his energy back, lol, on the 2nd time walking back to the main gates, he started to try to flap his wings, but I had my hands around his body holding them down.
 

I ended up just having to put him under the main gates, but not with all the other ducks. At least he was off the road and in common territory, instead of smashing himself repeatedly into the fence. I hope the owners (who live across the street) came home and put him back with his friends!

The week has gone quite well for me here! I had a slow start to training this week but a strong finish, so that is good. My diet is nowhere near where I would like it but it is very tough to go against the grain regarding sleep patterns and eating habits when you are on the schedule and living the life of a family. It won`t be long before I can tune things up, though!

This weekend was fantastic weather (hottest day of the year on Sunday), and I enjoyed lots of time outside. Yesterday there were horse races on the beach in Loredo!!! It was awesome! I got to watch the young jockies race. There is video in my "Santander" album but unfortunately it is poor quality. You can get the idea, though! There are some still shots of the horses as well. I was wishing I had Hannah with me, I think she would have enjoyed it!
 

 

I had two failed attempts at surfing on Friday and Saturday. On Friday the current was really strong and I kept getting swept away, so I decided it was too hard to surf and waited for the current to lessen...but it didn`t. Saturday I went with Jesus and his brother Alberto. I was using the small board which I still can`t get up on consistently. I accidently caught a MASSIVE wave which took me soooo fast towards the shore and when I looked up, I was going to hit the shore! I was laying on the board so I forced myself to fall off and the wave must have slammed me into the ground or something - my knee on one side is sore and bruised. After that, I decided the waves were too big and got out! Haha. There were some other problems with that night - I had decided to surf in a bikini without a wetsuit. I was slipping all over the place on the board, and the ocean was so strong it kept removing my bathing suit!!! I might as well have worn nothing! Won`t be doing that again, lol, way too hard to surf under those conditions! Perhaps that would only be appropriate with my naked colony in Mataro, hmmm? Hahaha. I miss them!!!

I am starting an entry with reflection on my trip - although it will take me a while to gather and organize my thoughts into words. Anyway keep an eye out on the blog for that one, it will be a biggy. I have learned a lot so far, that is for sure!

Hope everyone is well at home - enjoy the rest of the summer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment