Monday, August 24, 2009

Reflection through Canadian Glasses

Well it has been quite a journey over the 4 months of my travels. It is funny how I can learn and change, but since I see myself everyday, I don`t notice. I was chatting with a friend last night when I realized how different my life has been in the last 4 months, compared with the first 4 months of 2009.

Let`s start with a change for the better in my health:

I haven`t had ANY problems with my glands since leaving Canada. I have struggled with my neck swelling up since I got mono when I was 15, but here, no problems.

I`ve had way more day to day energy! Instead of wanting to sleep all the time, I actually feel like getting out and doing fun things! All of my training is much easier to complete when I am not napping, or wanting to nap. In fact I never got into a nap habit here and I would like to think that I am better for it!

My skin has been almost completely clear, except for a week or two where my stress levels where higher than normal. Also, I quit picking at any imperfections. A habit that goes hand in hand with stress, and something I was able to eliminate :) Combine that with a tan & lots of exercise, and I am much healthier looking!

Since I arrived in the north of Spain, I have been religious about my stretching. On average I stretch for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. What a great improvement in the way my body feels! I have known for years that I need to stretch more but I was never able to implement a routine into my life consistently. Now, it is part of my day and something that I will absolutely keep up upon my return home!

Next, I have a new appreciation for:

The West Coast! Traveling around Europe has taught me how beautiful Canada is, and what a great all around Country it is. The vibe, the general population, the scenary!!! We are sooo lucky to live in such a great place. I knew this before, but not to the extent that I know it now. I can`t wait to take full advantage of living on the Island!

Learning a new sport and being in the ocean! I have been in the ocean more times on this trip than I have in my entire life living on the coast in Canada. It is warmer, so that helps, but it is also part of the culture here. Everyone on this coast goes to the beach multiple times a week and it is quite neat.

Hiking Mountains! I think that if you tried to convince me to climb a mountain in the summer, for 9 hours, I would tell you to jump in the lake! But since it is what everyone else was doing, I joined in, and had a GREAT time! I have a new appreciation for hiking, and the accomplishment of reaching the top of a mountain. Very rewarding, and what a great way for me to explore the beautiful coast that I live on :)

Fantastic polite people! What can I say? Previous to this trip, I had only spent a lot of time with Canadians, and some Americans. We have so many great people in our Country. Family, friends, and even people I am not close to are much more my style than the typical person from another Country. I know that people will tell me "That`s because you are used to them". Maybe, but it is also because of the things I value. Sincere, nice temperment, polite, sense of humour, considerate, caring, compassionate, reasonably happy, active, healthy!!! We have a lot going for us, that`s for sure. While I have met some great people here, they are few. I am somewhat limited in that I don`t speak Spanish, but I still observe the way people act and treat each other. I have only seen certain countries of course, but I would choose Canada & Portugal over the others.

Children. Specifically happy children with social skills, which covers most of the children I know. Now that I have seen (and lived with) the behaviour of children who lack basic social skills, I can appreciate good natured kid sooooo much more! I understand that kids get hungry, tired, crabby after they eat sugar... that is normal. What I have seen is a major lack in communication skills, and it is a shame. Having to spend time with such poor mannered children has given me a new appreciation for spending time with other children. I love to watch them have fun, to see their expression when they are successful at something, the way they learn new things, and the way they interact (without being on my cell phone, laptop, or in a rush to get somewhere). I also like to be a part of all those things. Watching Andres` face when he caught a frisbee for the first time was one of my favourite moments here!

My opportunities. If you have been reading my blog, you know that I met a wonderful girl in Madrid named Patricia, who is from Uruguay. We have had many conversations about life, what we have done in the past, and what our future plans are. She told me how lucky I am to live in Canada and have all the opportunities I have. I can go to school, get a good paying job that allows me to pay my rent or mortgage (even without school), play all my sports. I didn`t realize, until I spoke to her, that it isn`t like that in every country. Where she lives, even with her degree, she would have to work full time and share a tiny apartment with 3 other people just to pay the bills, with no money left over! I know people, specifically my Dad, has told me how lucky I am to have all the opportunities. It didn`t sink in until I met another girl (close to my age) who has nothing to go home to at the end of this trip, except her family and friends of course (which are great).

Things I have learned:

A new sport!!! I have had a blast learning how to surf! I didn`t get on the water (or improve) as much as I`d like, but I got a taste of the sport. It has been fun to try something new. I was lucky enough to get some surf lessons when I first arrived, and then have the use of Jesus` equipment for the rest of the summer. I have thoroughly enjoyed this, even though I am not great at it!

I learn the most about myself when I am challenged! This goes for all types of challenges and negative environments. When I am pushed, I get the opportunity to observe how I react, or to practice my ability to handle myself. I am happy to say that I have more patience, tolerance, and self-control than I knew existed inside me! This trip has put the "bar" one notch higher for me, what more can I ask for??? Knowing new limits. Conquering situations that have gotten the best of me in the past. It`s a great process!

How NOT to raise my children! How many people can say they have had a crash course in how not to raise their future children??? I suppose people who weren`t happy with their childhood would have an idea about how they would parent; for those of us who grew up in a fairly tale, as fortunate as we are, we don`t get to form the same ideas about how we will raise our kids. I think it`s important to think about the way you will do things, and not just give the same answer "Because that`s how it was when I was a kid". That is not a reason, but an adopted habit. Anyways, I got the crash course. I have been able to observe the parents and watch what the children take from them, and how it shows in their behaviour. How the children have "learned behaviours" based on their parents lack of ability to follow through. "The apple doesn`t fall from the tree" is a statement I already believed, but wow, it has been taken to a whole new level! This is another area where I couldn`t have asked for more.

Things I already knew that have been reinforced time and time again:

Men are more friendly and more pleasant for me to be around. I am so appreciative of their simplicity! The adults who have made my experience a good one in the North of Spain have been men. They are consistent in the way that they treat me, and treat each other. I felt included and am very appreciative of their easy going nature and sense of humour!!! Thank you guys for showing me the positive side of your village and social lives! I will be missing our laughs. You are welcome to Canada if you want to do any hiking, mountain biking, water sports :) I will gladly show you my country and life as you have shown me yours!


I remain the same happy, strong individual regardless of whether the exterior envinronment is positive or negative. I once had it explained to me this way: view yourself as a lake. You are the stillness of the deep water, while the surface will change according to the weather. You remain the same inside, while the weather can be calm or rough, or anything inbetween. Being out of my comfort zone has enforced the fact that my confidence and happiness originates inside myself, not from an exterior environment. All the years of work that I have done on myself (and continue to do) and the lessons I have been taught, are paying huge dividends by making my life pleasant and happy! Thank you to all the people and forces in this world who have given me the ability to take sole responsibility for myself :)

Sorry for the delay in publishing this entry! I wrote it a long time ago, but I wanted to take time to reflect and see if anything else came to mind. Stay tuned for my recap of September! It has been an amazing month back at home and has included some challenges and a lot of success :)

1 comment:

  1. hey Mauffin! Lol good write up, waiting to hear about September ...and onwards! love momo

    ReplyDelete